My main research interests focus on the upper extremities in work, rehabilitation and sports. I am interested in the epidemiology of upper extremity symptoms in this context. More specifically, I aim to understand how exposure to and the biomechanics of upper extremity actions are related to optimal and non-optimal upper extremity functioning. In addition, I have a general interest in research methodology and statistics in human movement sciences.
I have co-supervised 7 PhD students and have (co-) authored over 90 papers in international scientific journals. I have been a member of the editorial board of the Dutch Journal of Ergonomics and I currently serve as an associate editor of IISE Transactions on Occupational Ergonomics and Human Factors.
Currently, I am involved in research projects on baseball pitching, wheelchair basketball, mobility of older adults, occupational ergonomics and orthopaedics.
I obtained a PhD in Medicine from the University of Amsterdam in 2001 on the relationship between pushing and pulling and musculoskeletal symptoms, supervised by prof.dr. Monique Frings-Dresen, prof.dr. Frank van Dijk, prof.dr. Allard van der Been and prof.dr. Luc van der Woude. I have been affiliated to the department of Human Movement Sciences of the Faculty of Behavioural and Movement Sciences of the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam as an assistant professorsince 2001. As part of this affiliation I have been working as a researcher and consultant of the expertise center for rehabilitation, ergonomics and sports of the department of human movement sciences, and as coordinator of CORAL, the centre for orthopaedic research at the department of orthopaedics at Medical Centre Alkmaar.
- There are currently no news available
- There are currently no news available
- No activities at the moment.
Excerpts of scientific work
- Consistency and test–retest reliability of stepping tests designed to measure self-perceived and actual physical stepping ability in older adults
- Gait quality assessed by trunk accelerometry after total knee arthroplasty and its association with patient related outcome measures
Three Out of Ten Working Patients Expect No Clinical Improvement of Their Ability to Perform Work-Related Knee-Demanding Activities After Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Multicenter Study
van Zaanen, Y., van Geenen, R. C. I., Pahlplatz, T. M. J., Kievit, A. J., Hoozemans, M. J. M., Bakker, E. W. P., Blankevoort, L., Schafroth, M. U., Haverkamp, D., Vervest, T. M. J. S., Das, D. H. P. W., van der Weegen, W., Scholtes, V. A., Frings-Dresen, M. H. W. & Kuijer, P. P. F. M., 15 Sep 2019, In : Journal of Occupational Rehabilitation. 29, 3, p. 585-594 10 p.
- Inter-individual differences in stride frequencies during running obtained from wearable data
- The total value of time of children undergoing treatment: A contingent valuation from the perspective of parents in the orthopaedic department of a Dutch hospital
- Improving mobility performance in wheelchair basketball
- To Improve Your Surgical Drilling Skills, Make Use of Your Index Fingers
- Femoral nerve excursion with knee and neck movements in supine, sitting and side-lying slump: An in vivo study using ultrasound imaging
- Fast-track total knee arthroplasty improved clinical and functional outcome in the first 7 days after surgery: a randomized controlled pilot study with 5-year follow-up
- Cross-cultural adaptation and validation of the Dutch version of the High Activity Arthroplasty Score
- Where to step? Contributions of stance leg muscle spindle afference to planning of mediolateral foot placement for balance control in young and old adults
Focus of attention instructions during baseball pitching training
van der Graaff, E., Hoozemans, M., Pasteuning, M., Veeger, D. & Beek, P. J., 1 Jun 2018, In : International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching. 13, 3, p. 391-397 7 p.
- Sensitivity to change of the field-based wheelchair mobility performance test in wheelchair basketball
- Knee Angle and Stride Length in Association with Ball Speed in Youth Baseball Pitchers
- Self-perceived gait stability modulates the effect of daily life gait quality on prospective falls in older adults
- Is duwen of trekken op het werk te zwaar? Gebruik de nieuwe Duw en Trek Check (DUTCH)
- Development, construct validity and test–retest reliability of a field-based wheelchair mobility performance test for wheelchair basketball
- Asymmetry and evolution over a one-year period of the upward rotation of the scapula in youth baseball pitchers
Relationship between Physical Development and Performance in Youth Baseball Pitchers
Veeger, H. E. J., van der Graaff, E., van Dis, F., Verhagen, E. A. & Hoozemans, M. J. M., 2018, In : Japanese Journal of Physical Fitness and Sports Medicine. 67, 1, p. 76-76 1 p.
Timing of peak pelvis and thorax rotation velocity in baseball pitching
van der Graaff, E., Hoozemans, M. J. M., Nijhoff, M., Davidson, M., Hoezen, M. & Veeger, H. E. J., 2018, In : The Journal of Physical Fitness and Sports Medicine. 7, 5, p. 269-277 9 p.
Optimizing the Team for Required Power During Track Cycling Team Pursuit
Heimans, L., Dijkshoorn, W. R., Hoozemans, M. J. M. & de Koning, J. J., Nov 2017, In : International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. 12, 10, p. 1385-1391 7 p.
Wingate Test is a Strong Predictor of 1500m Performance in Elite Speed Skaters
Hofman, N., Orie, J., Hoozemans, M. J. M., Foster Jr., C. & de Koning, J. J., 1 Nov 2017, In : International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. 12, 10, p. 1288-1292 5 p.
- Effects of offense, defense, and ball possession on mobility performance in wheelchair basketball
- Predictive Factors for Functional Outcome after Conservative Treatment of Midshaft Clavicular Fractures: A Retrospective Cohort Study
Historical Improvement in Speed Skating Economy
Noordhof, D. A., Tok, E. V., Joosten, F. S. J. G. M., Hettinga, F. J., Hoozemans, M. J. M., Foster Jr., C. & Koning, J. J. D., Feb 2017, In : International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. 12, 2, p. 175-181
- Beneficial and limiting factors for return to work following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a retrospective cohort study
The Effect of Arm Supports on Muscle Activity, Posture, and Discomfort in the Neck and Shoulder in Microscopic Dentistry: Results of a Pilot Study
Bolderman, F. W., Bos-Huizer, J. J. A. & Hoozemans, M. J. M., 2017, In : IISE Transactions on Occupational Ergonomics and Human Factors. 5, p. 92-105
- Prevalence of self-reported stroke in association with ethnic background within a multi-ethnic population in Paramaribo, Suriname: Results from the HeliSur study.
- Femoral component failure in the Oxford unicompartmental knee arthroplasty: A case report
Concurrent validity of questions on arm, shoulder and neck symptoms of the RSI QuickScan
Hoozemans, M. J. M., Spekle, E. & van Dieen, J. H., 2013, In : International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health. 86, 7, p. 789-798
The evaluation of team lifting on physical work demands and workload in ironworkers
van der Molen, H. F., Visser, S., Kuijer, P. P. F. M., Faber, G. S., Hoozemans, M. J. M., van Dieen, J. H. & Frings-Dresen, M. H. W., 2012, In : Work: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment and Rehabilitation. 41, p. 3771-3773
Effects of pushing height on trunk posture and trunk muscle activity when a cart suddenly starts or stops moving
Lee, Y. J., Hoozemans, M. J. M. & van Dieen, J. H., 2012, In : Work: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment and Rehabilitation. 41, Suppl1, p. 3189-3195
Does team lifting increase the variability in peak lumbar compression in ironworkers?
Faber, G. S., Visser, S., van der Molen, H. F., Kuijer, P. P. F. M., Hoozemans, M. J. M., van Dieen, J. H. & Frings-Dresen, M. H. W., 2012, In : Work: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment and Rehabilitation. 41, p. 4171-4173
- Effects of sudden cart movement on the trunk in different phases of cart pushing
- The predictive validity of the RSI QuickScan questionnaire with respect to arm, shoulder and neck symptoms in computer workers
- Trunk muscle control in response to (un)expected turns in cart pushing
- Sub-movement organisation, pen pressure and muscle activity are modulated to precision demands in 2D tracking
- Lumbar bone mass predicts low back pain in males
- Ironic effects in a simulated penalty shooting task: Is the negative wording in the instruction essential?
- Evaluation of methods to assess push/pull forces in a construction task
Group-based measurement strategies in exposure assessment explored by bootstrapping
Hoozemans, M. J. M., Burdorf, A., Van Der Beek, A. J., Frings-Dresen, M. H. W. & Mathiassen, S. E., 2001, In : Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment and Health. 27, 2, p. 125-132 8 p.
- Gender differences in exerted forces and physiological load during pushing and pulling of wheeled cages by postal workers
- Stoop or squat: a review of biomechanical studies on lifting technique
- Pushing and pulling in relation to musculoskeletal disorders: a review of risk factors
- Anticipatory postural adjustments before load pickup in a bi-manual whole body lifting task
- Duwen en trekken van rollend materieel
- Duwen en trekken schiet gezondheidkundig doel vaak voorbij.
- Tillen met de rug of uit de benen? Literatuurstudie naar de invloed van de tiltechniek op de fysieke belasting.
- Risicofactoren voor balansverlies door tillen.
- Optimizing the determination of the body center of mass
Excerpts of scientific work
Perfecting your Pitch: In search of the perfect baseball pitch and its training
van der Graaff, E., 2019, 167 p.
Improving functional outcome and outcome measures in total knee arthroplasty
Fransen, B. L., 2019, 218 p.
Mobility Performance in Wheelchair Basketball
de Witte, A. M. H., 2018, 139 p.
Hip muscle function and mediolateral balance control in older adults
Arvin, M., 2016
Effectiveness of an intervention programme on arm, shoulder and neck symptoms in computer workers
Spekle, E., 2011
Control of trunk movement: Perturbations in cart pushing
Lee, Y. J., 2011, 156 p.
From precision demands to neck and upper extremity pain
Huysmans, M. A., 2008, Enschede: PrintPartners Ipskamp. 216 p.