I study complex dynamics of motor-related neural systems and its formal and conceptual assessment in terms of nonlinear dynamics and non-equilibrium statistics. Research activities cover spatio-temporal aspects of neural synchronization for information transfer during perceptual-motor tasks.
Over the years, I appropriated various methods for the analysis of multivariate signals for kinematic, electromyographic and encephalographic data. For example, I developed methods for the extraction of principal or independent components in the vicinity of qualitative changes in motor performance yielding a significant reduction of dimension and thus allowing for the analysis of motor (in-)stabilities, in general, and for classifying (switches between) gait patterns, in particular, including the patterns of accompanying cortical activity. Furthermore, I added to several research fields in theoretical physics, ranging from quantum information to diffusive systems and generalized thermostatistics.
I am currently working on the link between sensorimotor performance and neural synchronization using neuro-physiologically motivated stochastic neural models, bifurcation theory, and graph theory. This includes several PhD and Research Master projects involving both experimental approaches and theoretical ideas, also to investigate the interplay of dynamical and stochastic aspects of complex neural networks.
- Title: Nichtgleichgewichtsphasenübergänge in der menschlichen Motorik und Erweiterungen des synergetischen Computers.
- Topics: Non-equilibrium phase transitions in poly-rhythmic bimanual finger coordination, effects of random fluctuations, and competition dynamics of multiple order parameters (extensions of the synergetic computer).
- There are currently no news available
- There are currently no news available
Excerpts of scientific work
- The human sensorimotor cortex fosters muscle synergies through cortico-synergy coherence
- Age-related differences in neural spectral power during motor learning
- A combined diffusion-weighted and electroencephalography study on age-related differences in connectivity in the motor network during bimanual performance
- Tightening up the control of treadmill walking: Effects of maneuverability walking: Effects of maneuverability range and acoustic pacing on stride-to-stride fluctuations
- First-order phase transitions in the Kuramoto model with compact bimodal frequency distributions
- Distinct criticality of phase and amplitude dynamics in the resting brain
- Using spike train distances to identify the most discriminative neuronal subpopulation
- Incongruent visual feedback during a postural task enhances cortical alpha and beta modulation in patients with Parkinson's disease
- Network structure of the human musculoskeletal system shapes neural interactions on multiple time scales
Disentangling Somatosensory Evoked Potentials of the Fingers: Limitations and Clinical Potential
Kalogianni, K., Daffertshofer, A., van der Helm, F. C. T., Schouten, A. C., de Munck, J. C., Kwakkel, G., Meskers, C. G. M., van Wegen, E. E. H., Andringa, A. S., Hoevenaars, D., Winters, C., Zandvliet, S., Solis-Escalante, T., Yuan-Yang, Vlaar, M. P., Filatova, L., Dewald, J. P. A., Yao, J. & On Behalf Of The 4Deeg Consortium, May 2018, In : Brain Topography. 31, 3, p. 498-512 15 p.
- Spatial resolution for EEG source reconstruction—A simulation study on SEPs
Comparison of multi-tensor diffusion models' performance for white matter integrity estimation in chronic stroke
on behalf of the 4D EEG Consortium, 23 Apr 2018, In : Frontiers in Neuroscience. 12, APR, 247.
- Generalizability of the Maximum Proportional Recovery Rule to Visuospatial Neglect Early Poststroke
- Involvement of superior temporal areas in audiovisual and audiomotor speech integration
- Coordinative task difficulty and behavioural errors are associated with increased long-range beta band synchronization
- Equivalence of coupled networks and networks with multimodal frequency distributions: Conditions for the bimodal and trimodal case
- Ott-antonsen attractiveness for parameter-dependent oscillatory systems
- Model selection for identifying power-law scaling
- Neural adaptations associated with interlimb transfer in a ballistic wrist flexion task
- Determination of head conductivity frequency response in vivo with optimized EIT-EEG
- Functional connectivity in the neuromuscular system underlying bimanual coordination
Discrete and rhythmic movements - Just a bifurcation apart?
Daffertshofer, A., Van Veen, B., Ton, R. & Huys, R., 2014, In : Conference Proceedings - IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics. 2014-January, January, p. 778-783 6 p., 6974005.
- Assessing gait stability: The influence of state space reconstruction on inter- and intra-day reliability of local dynamic stability during over-ground walking.
- Slowing of M1 oscillations in brain tumor patients in resting state and during movement
- Neural synchrony within the motor system: what have we learned so far?
- Removing ecg contamination from emg recordings: A comparison of ica-based and other filtering procedures.
- Radial and tangential components of dipolar sources and their magnetic fields
- Differential modulations of ipsilateral and contralateral beta (de)synchronization during unimanual force production
- BrainModes: the role of neuronal oscillations in health and disease
- On the influence of amplitude on the connectivity between phases
- Handwriting difficulties in juvenile idiopathic arthritis: a pilot study
- Slowing of M1 activity in Parkinson's disease during rest and movement - An MEG study
- Comparing brain networks of different size and connectivity density using graph theory
- The relationship between structural and functional connectivity: graph theoretical analysis of an EEG neural mass model
- Generative models of cortical oscillations: Neurobiological implications of the Kuramoto model
- Cortico-spinal synchronization reflects changes in performance when learning a complex bimanual task
- Spectral Changes of Interhemispheric Crosstalk during Movement Instabilities
- Estimating complex cortical networks via surface recordings-A critical note
Stochastic two-delay differential model of delayed visual feedback effects on postural dynamics
Boulet, J., Balasubramaniam, R., Daffertshofer, A. & Longtin, A., 2010, In : Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A. Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences. 3368, 1911, p. 3423-438
- Stability and variability of acoustically specified coordination patterns while walking side-by-side on a treadmill: Does the seagull effect hold?
- Asymmetry in pulse-coupled oscillators with delay
- Graph theoretical analysis of magnetoencephalographic functional connectivity in Alzheimers disease
- Changing degrees of freedom and degeneracy in the process of motor learning
- Learning-related changes of beta-activity in motor areas
- Classical typicality of the canonical distribution
- Multiple time scales in serial production of force: A tutorial on power spectral analysis of motor variability
- Multivariate Ornstein-Uhlenbeck processes with mean-field dependent coefficients: Application to postural sway
- Zelf-organisatie in het brein
- Diffusion of periodically forced brownian particles moving in space-periodic potentials
- A model for phase transitions in human hand movements during multifrequency tapping.
Excerpts of scientific work
Spike train distances and neuronal coding
Satuvuori, E., 2018, 168 p.
Modeling phase synchronization of interacting neuronal populations: From phase reductions to collective behavior of oscillatory neural networks
Pietras, B., 2018, 267 p.
Augmented visual feedback in Parkinson's disease: Assessing and improving postural control
van den Heuvel, M. R. C., 2017, 132 p.
The Power of Synchronous Rhythms: Self-Similarity in Phase Dynamics, Neural Masses, and the Brain
Ton, R., 2016
Sound and Movement
Komeilipoor, N., 2015
A walk on the wild side: Fall-risk assessment from daily-life gait
Rispens, S. M., 2015
Synchronization with fractal rhythms: Complexity matching of statistical structure
Marmelat, V. C. M., 2014
Neural synchronization within and between regions of the motor system
van Wijk, B. C. M., 2012
Neural entrainment in coordination dynamics
Houweling, S., 2010, 142 p.
Moving In Time: Neurons, Clocks, and Rhythmic Movements
Vardy, A. N., 2010, 126 p.
Neural dynamics of human motor control
Boonstra, T. W., 2007, Enschede: Print Partners Ipskamp.
Structure from randomness; A window into coordination
van Mourik, A. M., 2006, Enschede: PrintersPartners Ipskamp.
Disentangling perceptual-motor learning
Huys, R., 2004, Utrecht/ Houten: Digital Printer Partners.