Jaap van Dieën
My research concentrates on the effects of ageing, musculoskeletal and neurological disorders on human movement. The goal is to contribute to prevention, treatment and rehabilitation with respect to musculoskeletal and movement disorders, by increasing our understanding of movement-related causes and consequences of these disorders and related impairments. I aim to translate fundamental insights into clinically applicable procedures and to develop measurement tools that can be used outside the laboratory context.
I have supervised over 40 PhD students and have (co-) authored over 400 papers in international scientific journals and have been an editor of the European Journal of Applied Physiology and section editor of Human Movement Sciences and serve on several editorial boards currently.
Currently my research is centered around four themes: 1) control of trunk posture and movement, 2) balance control, 3) gait stability, and 4) the development of clinically applicable algorithms and instrumentation.
I obtained my PhD from the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, based on thesis entitled " Functional Load of the Low Back", supervised by prof.dr. Rients Rozendal and dr. Huub Toussaint. I have been affiliated to the former now Faculty now Department of Human Movement Sciences of this university since 1996. I was appointed as full professor in 2002 and became head of the department in 2016. Initially my research focussed on ergonomics and occupational biomechanics. Over the years, my focus has shifted towards balance and postural control in relation to ageing and clinical applications.
- There are currently no news available
- There are currently no news available
Excerpts of scientific work
- Consistency and test–retest reliability of stepping tests designed to measure self-perceived and actual physical stepping ability in older adults
- Gait quality assessed by trunk accelerometry after total knee arthroplasty and its association with patient related outcome measures
Patients with spinal muscular atrophy use high percentages of trunk muscle capacity to perform seated tasks
Peeters, L. H. C., Janssen, M. M. H. P., Kingma, I., van Dieën, J. H. & de Groot, I. J. M., Dec 2019, In : American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 98, 12, p. 1110-1117
- A comparison of methods to quantify control of the spine
- The effect of external lateral stabilization on the use of foot placement to control mediolateral stability in walking and running
- Axial pelvis range of motion affects thorax-pelvis timing during gait
- Quality of daily-life gait: Novel outcome for trials that focus on balance, mobility, and falls
Consensus for experimental design in electromyography (CEDE) project: Electrode selection matrix
Besomi, M., Hodges, P. W., Van Dieën, J., Carson, R. G., Clancy, E. A., Disselhorst-Klug, C., Holobar, A., Hug, F., Kiernan, M. C., Lowery, M., McGill, K., Merletti, R., Perreault, E., Søgaard, K., Tucker, K., Besier, T., Enoka, R., Falla, D., Farina, D., Gandevia, S. & 3 othersRothwell, J. C., Vicenzino, B. & Wrigley, T., 1 Oct 2019, In : Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. 48, p. 128-144 17 p.
- The human sensorimotor cortex fosters muscle synergies through cortico-synergy coherence
- Inter-individual differences in stride frequencies during running obtained from wearable data
- The assessment of single-leg drop jump landing performance by means of ground reaction forces: A methodological study
- Stride and Step Length Obtained with Inertial Measurement Units during Maximal Sprint Acceleration
- Individual optimal step frequency during outdoor running
- The effect of a passive trunk exoskeleton on metabolic costs during lifting and walking
- Impaired local dynamic stability during treadmill walking predicts future falls in patients with multiple sclerosis: A prospective cohort study
- The effect of control strategies for an active back-support exoskeleton on spine loading and kinematics during lifting
- Effects of ankle muscle fatigue and visual behavior on postural sway in young adults
- Differences in maximum voluntary excitation between isometric and dynamic contractions are age-dependent
- Bench stepping with incremental heights improves muscle volume, strength and functional performance in older women
- Does a Perturbation Based Gait Intervention Enhance Gait Stability in Fall Prone Stroke Survivors? A Pilot Study
- Dual vs. Single Tasking During Circular Walking: What Better Reflects Progression in Parkinson's Disease?
- Assessing age-related balance deterioration: Visual or mechanical tasks?
- Don't forget the trunk in Duchenne muscular dystrophy patients: More muscle weakness and compensation than expected
- Potential markers of progression in idiopathic Parkinson's disease derived from assessment of circular gait with a single body-fixed-sensor: A 5 year longitudinal study
- Validity and reliability of a novel integrative motor performance testing course for seniors: The "Agility Challenge for the Elderly (ACE)"
- Kinematic and kinetic analysis of the goalkeeper's diving save in football
- Axial Thorax-Pelvis Coordination During Gait is not Predictive of Apparent Trunk Stiffness
- Effects of a passive exoskeleton on the mechanical loading of the low back in static holding tasks
- Understanding Motivations and Player Experiences of Older Adults in Virtual Reality Training
- Performance on a Single-Legged Drop-Jump Landing Test Is Related to Increased Risk of Lateral Ankle Sprains Among Male Elite Soccer Players: A 3-Year Prospective Cohort Study
- Do older adults select appropriate motor strategies in a stepping-down paradigm?
- The effect of a passive trunk exoskeleton on functional performance in healthy individuals
- Predicting the influence of hip and lumbar flexibility on lifting motions using optimal control
- The effect of walking speed on quality of gait in older adults
- Alterations in trunk bending stiffness following changes in stability and equilibrium demands of a load holding task
- Where to step? Contributions of stance leg muscle spindle afference to planning of mediolateral foot placement for balance control in young and old adults
- Myofascial Loads Can Occur without Fascicle Length Changes
- Age-Matched Z-Scores for Longitudinal Monitoring of Center of Pressure Speed in Single-Leg Stance Performance in Elite Male Youth Soccer Players
- The association between age and accelerometry-derived types of habitual daily activity: An observational study over the adult life span in the Netherlands
- Trunk, head and pelvis interactions in healthy children when performing seated daily arm tasks
- Self-perceived gait stability modulates the effect of daily life gait quality on prospective falls in older adults
- Older adults with weaker muscle strength stand up from a sitting position with more dynamic trunk use
- Center of pressure motion after calf vibration is more random in fallers than non-fallers: Prospective study of older individuals
- Coupled motions in human and porcine thoracic and lumbar spines
- Effects of intervertebral disc lesion and multifidus muscle resection on the structure of the lumbar intervertebral discs and paraspinal musculature of the rat
- Development and evaluation of a passive trunk support system for Duchenne muscular dystrophy patients
- Improved prediction of falls in community-dwelling older adults through phase-dependent entropy of daily-life walking
- Weight bearing exercise can elicit similar peak muscle activation as medium–high intensity resistance exercise in elderly women
- An adaptive, real-time cadence algorithm for unconstrained sensor placement
- On the validity and consistency of misjudgment of stepping ability in young and older adults
Excerpts of scientific work
Designing Functional Training Programs to Improve Muscle Characteristics in Older Adults Using Electromyography
Baggen, R. J., 2019, 167 p.
Biomechanics of Explosive Sports Skills
Ibrahim, R., 2019, 148 p.
Jump landing performance in footballers
Fransz, D. P., 2019, 190 p.
Single-leg balance performance in sports: From laboratory testing to practical applications?
Huurnink, A., 2019, 149 p.
Improving functional outcome and outcome measures in total knee arthroplasty
Fransen, B. L., 2019, 218 p.
Motor Control of the Trunk During Gait in Low Back Pain
Prins, M. R., 2019, 182 p.
Dynamic Support for Trunk and Neck for Persons with Progressive Muscle Weakness related Disorders
Mahmood, M. N., 2019, 150 p.
Time in Parkinson's disease: Clinical and preclinical markers
Mico Amigo, M. E., 2018, 292 p.
Assessing Sit-to-Stand for Clinical Use
Lummel, R. C., 2017, 192 p.
Gait stability in stroke survivors: The assessment and training of gait stability in chronic stroke survivors
Punt, M., 2017, 185 p.
Neuromechanical Consequences of Epimuscular Myofascial Force Transmission: Impact of connective tissues on muscle action
Bernabei, M., 2017, Hertogenbosch: Uitgeverij BoxPress. 176 p.
Hip muscle function and mediolateral balance control in older adults
Arvin, M., 2016
Mechanical relevance of linkages that interconnect skeletal muscles
Tijs, C., 2016
Identifying Low-Back Stabilization in Low-Back Pain and the Influence of Tactile Information
Maaswinkel, E., 2016
Work-related stressors and neck and upper extremity symptoms: A matter of mechanics?
Eijckelhof, B. H. W., 2015
A walk on the wild side: Fall-risk assessment from daily-life gait
Rispens, S. M., 2015
Spinal stability following single level lumbar laminectomy: A biomechanical study of the human spine
Bisschop, A., 2015
Mediolateral Balance Assessment in older Adults: MELBA
Cofre Lizama, L. E., 2014
Predicting Falls: Amount and Quality of Daily-life Gait as Risk Factors
van Schooten, K. S., 2014
Step by step: Stepping strategies to prevent falling while walking
Hak, L., 2014
Impact of muscle fatigue on mechanics and motor control of walking
Barbieri, F. A., 2013
On the origin of back pain
Coenen, P., 2013
Structural Vibration Testing of the Lumbar Spine: Development of a Diagnostic Tool for Assessment of Segmental Stiffness
van Engelen, S. J. P. M., 2013
Walking With Knee Osteoarthritis
Abbasibafghi, H., 2012
Trunk control in low back pain
Willigenburg, N. W., 2012
Motor Control and Lumbopelvic Stability in Young Healthy Women
Hu, H., 2011
Effectiveness of an intervention programme on arm, shoulder and neck symptoms in computer workers
Spekle, E., 2011
Control of trunk movement: Perturbations in cart pushing
Lee, Y. J., 2011, 156 p.
Gait Characteristics in Knee Osteoarthritis Patients Before and After Knee Replacement
Fallah Yakhdani, H. R., 2011
Fatigue and performance in repetitive industrial work
Bosch, T., 2011
Towards ambulatory assessment of spinal loading in the field
Faber, G. S., 2010, 184 p.
Is stability an unstable concept? Quantifying dynamic stability of human locomotion
Bruijn, S. M., 2010, 156 p.
Shoulder pain after stroke
Niessen, M. H. M., 2010, 136 p.
Mechanical behaviour of the intervertebral disc under sustained compressive loading
van der Veen, A. J., 2009, 160 p.
From precision demands to neck and upper extremity pain
Huysmans, M. A., 2008, Enschede: PrintPartners Ipskamp. 216 p.
Gastrocnemius muscle fascicle behaviour during stair negotiation
Spanjaard, M., 2008, 134 p.
Impedance modulation: a means to cope with neuromuscular noise
Selen, L. P. J., 2007, Cambridge (UK): Cambridge Printing.
EMG-based muscle force estimation: Implications of measurement and analysis techniques
Staudenmann, D., 2007, Utrecht: Digital Printing Partners Utrecht B.V..
Knees in need
Aalbersberg-van Berkel, S., 2006, Amsterdam: PrintPartners Ipskamp BV.
- Recovery from a trip in young and older adults: mechanics and control of the support limb
Upper extremity load in low-intensity tasks
Visser, B., 2004, Enschede: PrintPartners Ipskamp BV.
van der Burg, J. C. E., 2003, Enschede: PrintPartners Ipskamp BV.